This post may contain affiliate links so we may receive compensation if you sign up for or purchase products linked to below. As an Amazon Associate, I can earn from qualifying purchases. Read our disclosure for more information.
Looking for ways to give your furry friend a cozy timeout during the colder months? Indeed, one of the most beneficial gifts you can bring him or her home is a cat heating pad. That sounds like a great idea but with so many options out there, how do you spot the best cat heating pad?
Best Cat Heating Pad for 2022 Review: Key Features, Pros, and Cons
There ain’t no doubt about it, your beloved cat can derive real benefits and tons of happy hours simply by lying around on a warm, cozy sheet. Whiskers need downtime and a simple stay-at-home R&R too — just like you do.
But, how do you select which one to buy? Are heating pads safe? What product features should you be looking for in a heating pad? Read through this review all the way to the bottom to find out. For now, here are our top 8 picks:
|Image||Brand||Indoor/Outdoor||Product / Package Dimensions||Weight||Energy Consumption||Details|
|K&H PET PRODUCTS||Indoor||21 x 21 x 12 inches||2.92 lbs.||4 watts||See price|
|K&H PET PRODUCTS||Outdoor||18.5 x 12.5 x 0.5 inches||2.85 lbs.||40 watts||See price|
|Marunda||Indoor||12.91 x 3.97 x 3.85 inches||1.36 lbs.||35 watts||See price|
|Furhaven||Indoor||22 x 17 x 0.25 inches||2.4 lbs.||Not applicable||See price|
|Furrybaby||Indoor||17.8 x 17.8 x 1 inches||1 lb.||25 watts||See price|
|Mora Pets||Indoor and Outdoor||9.9 x 5.3 x 4.4 inches||1 lb.||Not applicable||See price|
|NAMSAN||Indoor||11.81 x 11.81 x 0.39 inches||1.2 lbs.||75 watts||See price|
1. K&H Pet Products Thermo Heated Cat Pod/Bed
- Removable heater
- Top bubble window
- Side lookout slot
- MET listed to guarantee product safety
This one received a 10/10 in our scoreboard! It definitely offers top-of-the-line comfort and convenience for your cat. As you may have guessed, it does come at a higher price vs. standard cat heating pads out there. But, this one is definitely way above your standard product.
On the upside, this product requires just 4 watts of energy which helps avoid spiking energy bills. If you can spend a bit more, this one is definitely a great buy.
- This energy-efficient heating pad is powered by just 4 watts of electricity.
- Low energy consumption equals savings on your energy bill.
- Removable heater makes this bed appropriate for use in any season.
- Machine washable cushion makes cleaning and maintenance easy as 1-2-3.
- Top bubble view and side lookout slot make it easy to check on your cat without waking him or her up.
- It’s pricier than most other options you’ll find in the market.
- Your pet may require some getting used to its make and indoor space.
- If you’re looking to use a heating pad for more than one cat, this product may not be appropriate.
2. K&H Pet Products Outdoor Cat Pad
Read Customer Reviews Here >>>
- Built-in 5.5ft steel cord
- Come with a fleece cover
- MET listed to guarantee product safety
If you don’t keep your kitty cat indoors, you’re going to need a heating pad that will not only be able to warm up your furry friend through icy nights but also be able to withstand the extreme outdoor weather conditions.
- Built and designed to withstand the harshest and most extreme outdoor weather conditions.
- Steel cord wrapping makes it durable and safe.
- MET listing means you can leave it plugged in 24/7 without worries of causing fires or hurting your pet.
- Pad heats up only when your cat is on it.
- You may require an extra fleece for more extreme cold.
- This uses up to 40 watts of energy when in use which could add significant consumption to your energy bill.
3. Marunda Cat Heating Pad
- Dual steel cord
- Dual thermostat controls
- Waterproof outer material
The best cat heating pad for every penny spent is this selection from Marunda. It may look like just another flat, rectangular heat pad. Rest assured there’s more than meets the eye. Underneath, it consists of a dual steel cord that’s chew-resistant — especially useful for cats (or dogs) who like putting something between their teeth.
It’s designed to warm your pet but also protects him or her from accidental burns or electrocution. We don’t know about you but to us, that definitely sounds like a top of the line deal at a bargain price.
- Dual thermostat gives off the ideal temp for your cat, that is, between 25 and 42 degrees Celsius (95 to 108F).
- It provides layered top and bottom protection consisting of a fireproof sponge, waterproof PVC material, and a flannel cover.
- Steel cord is designed to withstand chewing and up to 27 kilograms of force when pulled.
- It’s a great choice for either cats or dogs (or both!)
- Outer flannel cover is machine washable making cleaning easy-breezy.
- You may require a larger mat for larger pets or if you’re a fur parent to more than one.
- We found the flannel cover may have to be replaced from time to time.
4. Furhaven ThermaNAP Cat Heating Pad — Best Self-Warming Heating PadRead Customer Reviews Here >>>
- 22 x 17 inches of sleeping surface
- Supports pets up to 20lbs.
- Quilted faux fur outer cover
- Heat reflective design does not require electricity
- Polyester fiber core
For those who wouldn’t risk their pet’s safety for snug comfort, here’s a different but totally viable option. We didn’t believe the claims at first but, after trying it out ourselves, it does appear to warm up on its own without the need for plugging in. How?
According to its makers, it uses a heat reflective ThermaNAP technology where your pet’s body heat is absorbed deep into the layers and uses that to trap heat and reflect it back up to your pet. The best part is, there’s no additional energy requirement involved. Not to mention, our very own paw friend jumped right into it and didn’t leave the soft and cuddly cushion until three hours later!
- There’s no electricity involved which makes it 100% energy efficient and 100% safe.
- Quilted faux fur outer cover offers a cozy design, definitely one to be enjoyed.
- Durable materials mean it’s built to last for a very long time.
- No worries when it’s time for cleaning up, just throw it into the washer.
- This product may do little if you experience extremely cold weather.
- It isn’t appropriate if you keep your cat outdoors.
5. Furrybaby Cat Heating Pad — Best Heating Pad with Timer & Temp ControlsRead Customer Reviews Here >>>
- Available in various shapes and sizes
- Power timer settings
- 5-level thermostat settings
If you don’t want to have to worry about how long you’ve had your cat’s heating pad on, this product offers a great solution. Not only can you choose from five preset thermostat temp levels. Just like your own heater at home, you can set for how long it stays on as well. Plus, you can always choose to keep it on without worrying about accidents, such as pet burns.
- You can set the timer to indicate for how long you want to keep it on.
- It comes with a five-level thermostat so you can set the most comfortable setting for your pet.
- Temp and timer settings allow you to adjust depending on prevailing room temp and weather conditions.
- 7-layer protective construction keeps your paw friend safe from electrocution and burns.
- Availability in different sizes allows you to select one that’s right for your cat’s size and weight.
6. Mora Pets Self-Warming Heating Pad — Best Self-Warming Indoor/Outdoor PadRead Customer Reviews Here >>>
- Made with heat-absorbing and reflecting materials
- Lightweight and foldable
- 100% safe — no electric input required
- Machine washable
Just like the Furhaven ThermaNAP Cat Heating Pad, this product warms up using your cat’s body heat and reflects it back to keep your pet warm. This heating pad from Mora Pets, however, is designed for either indoor or outdoor use. That says a lot about the versatility and durability of its design and construction.
- No need for power input yet it keeps your paw friend warm and cozy.
- It’s the ideal choice for slight seasonal changes or for homes already equipped with a centralized heater.
- Thick and soft cushioning makes it ideal for fur babies and older cats.
- Use it worry-free on your sofa or bed, or as an additional cushion to your cat’s bed.
- Outer cover is machine washable but not recommended for tumble drying.
- It may not be ideal where extreme weather conditions are experienced.
7. NAMSAN Heating Pad with Digital 7-Level Thermostat — Best Heating Pad with Digital ControlsRead Customer Reviews Here >>>
- Digital control settings
- 7-level thermostat settings
- Made with flame-retardant material
- Replaceable outer cover
We found this product’s best feature offering is its digital thermostat control. You know why. Digital equals accuracy and precision. It could be vital to your pet’s safety.
Rather than using it as a stand-alone product, however, we recommend adding it on top or underneath your cat’s mat, sheet, or bed cushion. The surface dimension definitely doesn’t suffice to give your pet a cozy rest.
- Digital thermostat offers 7 preset temp levels so you can choose what’s most ideal under any given circumstance.
- Outer cover is machine washable.
- This product is made with fire retardant materials so you can stay worry-free of it causing fires and burns.
- It comes with a long cable which permits keeping it out of reach of your paw friend.
- All purchases come with a one-year guarantee so you can buy with confidence.
- Surface is too small to be used on its own.
Cat Heating Pad: Buying Guide
Before hitting the shelves or clicking the “Buy” button, read these few pointers we’ve put together. Here are the top features to look for when shopping for cat heat pads. Use these to find the most suitable heating pad for your pet friend.
If your cat needs a heating pad during limited, seasonal changes, it would be prudent to go for a product that gives you the best value at an average price. If you live where it’s always cold, like Alaska, it wouldn’t hurt to invest a little bit more to get your cat what it needs to stay warm and comfy.
How big is your pet anyway? Always look for the product size when shopping for this item. Make sure your cat can comfortably fit on its surface.
Some products may be shared among pets but some are suited for single admission only. If you’re planning to use the heating pad as an addition to your pet’s mat or bed, make sure it will fit into the bed or mat you already bought.
Appropriate Use for Indoors or Outdoors
Heating pads are designed and constructed in many different ways. You’ll need a heating pad that’s made up of more durable materials to be able to withstand extreme and freezing outdoor temperatures. You may ease up the requirements for indoor use.
Electric or Self-Heating
In some cases, if it can get cold but not freezing, or your pet is already enjoying your cozy central heater, a self-heating pad like the Furhaven ThermaNAP Cat Heating Pad or Mora Pets Self-Warming Heating Pad may be all that you need.
If you want to be in full control over the level of temp on your pet’s heating pad and for how long, you need something like the Furrybaby Cat Heating Pad. Products such as this provides you with more ways to make necessary adjustments appropriate for the prevailing weather and your unique circumstances.
When you do go for an electric heating pad, make sure to check the wattage. Just like your home appliances, you want to make sure it uses up energy efficiently. More importantly, low wattage also helps ensure that your pet is safe and that you won’t get an undesirable surprise the next time you receive your energy bill.
Find out what materials it is made up of. Make it easy on yourself by making sure the covers are machine washable. It also pays to have a sense of security that you’re buying a product that won’t cause accidental fires and burns. Products made of fire retardant materials like the NAMSAN Heating Pad with Digital 7-Level Thermostat help give you that guarantee.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Can you use a heat pad for humans for your pet cat?
At first glance, it may sound sensible to use the heat pad that you use yourself for your pet. But, you must know that the heat you need and that of your pet’s are very different. Your heat pad may feel too hot for your pet. That’s why you need to get your paw friend a heating pad that’s especially designed and made to give off heat at the level that is ideal to their kind.
Q: Are heated beds safe for cats?
By far, self-heating pads are the safest since there’s no electric input required. However, it isn’t always appropriate for the weather where you are. So, in cases where an electric pad is required, check the manufacturer’s reputation, look for safety certifications, and buy only from a legit seller or distributor.
Q: What should I look for when buying a heating pad for outdoor use?
We have the top two recommendations for that. First, make sure that the wiring and any other part involved with the power mechanism are designed for wet, freezing outdoor weather. You’ll find some products are made with steel coils with some form of coating to keep electricity from flowing where it isn’t supposed to.
The other one is making sure that the outer cover is waterproof. Keeping your cat warm outdoors also means the heating pad doesn’t get soaked easily in wet weather or else it is going to be more difficult to keep your cat warm.
Still contemplating on whether or not you need a heating pad for your cat? If the prevailing weather calls for it, then your cat definitely needs one. Remember that the best cat heating pad shouldn’t have to be the most expensive one you could find. Show your paw friend how much you love him or her by taking the time to get to know your options and selecting the most suitable choice.
Leave a Reply