This post may contain affiliate links so we may receive compensation if you sign up for or purchase products linked to below. As an Amazon Associate, I can earn from qualifying purchases. Read our disclosure for more information.
Actor-Comedian Tim Allen once said, “Winter forms our character and brings out our best”. We couldn’t agree more. But, try as you may, without the best winter work jackets for extreme cold to keep you warm, we bet even your neurons can’t help you craft a strategy to give your topnotch performance at work.
Who could think in the biting cold anyway? So, stay warm, stay comfy, and stay on top of your game. The last thing you should be worrying about is, ‘which winter jacket to wear?’ because we rounded up the best choices we could find. Read on. We’re certain you’ll love them.
Best winter work jackets for extreme cold for 2022 Review: Key Features, Pros, and Cons
Different people will have different reasons when shopping for a work jacket for winter. While most of us typing our way through most work days might need something to keep us warm in our offices or homes, some of us are actually required to be outdoors to work despite the freezing temp.
So, we ended up looking for the top performing winter work jackets suited for different kinds of trades. We had to do a bit of research to find out the most trusted makes and names in the market to give you the best. After testing them out, here are our Top 7 picks.
|Image||Brand||Material||Ambient Temp Compatibility||Available Sizes||Available Colors||Details|
|RefrigiWear||● Soft shell exterior|
● micro-fleece interior
|Up to -60F||Small up to 5X||Black||See price|
|Canada Goose||● Polyester & Cotton exterior|
● White duck filler
● Canadian Coyote fur
|At least -30F & possibly lower||Small up to 2X||● Black|
● Military Green
|Caterpillar||Polyester||Not specified||Small up to 4X||● Black|
● Army Moss
● Dark Sand Graphite
● Black/ Graphite
● Dark Earth
|CAMEL CROWN||Polyblend||Up to -10F||Small up to 3X||● Black|
● Dark Blue
● New Black
● New Grey
● Dark Purple
● New Black-2020
|Ergodyne||● 300D Oxford polyester exterior|
● Insulated & fleece quilted interior
|Up to -15F & possibly lower||Small up to 5X||● Neon Orange|
● Neon Green
|Alpine North||● Polyester & cotton exterior|
● Vegan down fillers & interior
|Up to -22F||Small up to XL||● Cobalt|
|Spyder||● Nylon & Polyester exterior|
● Gore Infinium and PrimaLoft Down Blend insulation
|Not specified||Small up to 2X||● Black|
1. RefrigiWear Insulated Winter Jacket
- Dual-zip front zippers
- Microfiber exterior
- Inner waist belt
- Multiple exterior & interior pockets
If your job requires you to move a lot, you’ll surely appreciate how this RefrigiWear jacket allows you to move the way you have to while succeeding at keeping you warm. You must know how difficult big, bulky traditional winter jackets can considerably limit your movements — well, definitely not this one!
- Water-repellent exteriors help keep the moisture out for a good period of time.
- Two chest pockets are fully waterproof so you can stash away valuables you want to keep dry.
- Pencil pocket on sleeve makes it easy to reach for your writing implements.
- It gives you the freedom to adjust your inner and outer zippers depending on ambient temp.
- Inner waist belt may be worn to keep heat from escaping out & cold air from seeping in.
- Water-repellent exterior may not be suited for you if you experience wet to very wet winters.
2. Canada Goose Men’s Expedition Jacket with Fur Hoodie
- Canadian coyote fur
- Heavy duty material
- Drawcord waist serves as draft
Who’d better know how to battle frigid weather than a Canadian-based brand? After all, snow and chilly winds are kind of what’s normal up there. Canada Goose definitely brings that experience into this product.
No matter if the land turns to ice outside, this jacket for extremely cold weather’s got you. We found it incredibly keeps you feeling absolutely warm even at -30F and we suspect it could definitely pass way colder temp. And so, we don’t recommend wearing one unless you’re experiencing weather below zero.
- This is made with water-resistant material but the fur may not be able to withstand wet weather.
- The insulation works wonders, really would keep you warm in sub-zero temp.
- Larger than usual sizes make it ideal for layering clothes in extremely cold weather.
- It is made with highly durable fabric with reinforced stitching.
- This jacket costs considerably much more than most other products in this category.
- Some people may find it bulky and, in which case, the Citadel type might be more suitable.
3. Caterpillar Men’s Insulated Winter Parka
- Zipper pockets
- Adjustable drawcords
- Windproof design
Any list of the best winter work jackets for extreme cold won’t be complete without CAT on the list. After all, it’s one of the most-trusted names when it comes to gear made for work that requires safety, mobility, and attention to detail. That’s exactly what it does and why it deserves the title, “Best Value”.
- Zipper front-closure makes it easy to adjust body temp with changing weather.
- Zipper pockets keep valuables secure.
- Adjustable drawcord locks at the waist to keep heat in and cold out.
- Machine washable makes it easy to clean up anytime.
- Made by a trusted name in heavy duty wear.
- Some may find it too large for size but if you’ll need to put more under, larger comes in handy.
4. Camel Crown Extreme Winter Coat/Parka for Women — BEST Extreme Winter Coat for WomenRead Customer Reviews Here >>>
- Multiple inner & outer pockets
- Waterproof pockets
Slim-fit and keeps you warm — it’s not an easy deal to get by. If you’ve been living in a cold environment for a while, you’d know what we mean.
For the ladies, getting a couple more inches on because they need to stay warm can’t ever be a welcome trade off. So, this one is a dream come true. Get it for yourself or get it for the woman you love. For sure, you will be loved back.
- It fits perfectly and hugs all the right curves in a woman’s body.
- This jacket is highly versatile and easily goes with any style.
- Wide range of color variants give wearers more choices to mix and match with their wardrobe.
- Lightweight cotton insulation keeps you warm without adding up considerable weight that ties you down.
- Waterproof pockets provide space for valuables you prefer to stay dry.
- Water-resistant material but not waterproof.
5. Ergodyne Store Reflective Extreme Winter Jacket — Best Extreme Weather Jacket for SafetyRead Customer Reviews Here >>>
- Slim thermal insulation
- ANSI-compliant reflector
- Velcro straps
- Inset hood
- Multiple interior & exterior pockets
If your job requires you to be outdoors in any kind of weather, not only do you need to stay warm. You also need to stay safe. Freezing winter weather also increases the risks of accidents outdoors.
It’s always best to take every precaution, and a winter jacket lined with ANSI-compliant reflectors will help keep you protected out there. Your safety should never be compromised. With the Ergodyne Reflective Jacket, safety is always a priority without holding up your performance just when it is needed the most.
- Velcro snaps make putting on and taking off easier.
- ANSI-compliant reflectors provide better coverage as far as safety is concerned.
- Drawstrings permit adjustment to keep the jacket fit and snug.
- Machine washable so it’s easy to keep it fresh and clean anytime.
- Non-removable lining may be limiting if you’re looking for more flexibility.
- Available in two color variants only.
6. Alpine North Vegan Parka for Women — Best Vegan Extreme Weather JacketRead Customer Reviews Here >>>
- Zipper and snap button closures
- Vegan down structure
- Cruelty-free insulation
Unlike the Camel Crown Extreme Winter Coat/Parka for Women, this jacket is designed not only to keep you warm but to stay true to your vegan lifestyle. Much of the current practices in manufacturing winter jackets have prevailed for decades, and this product is one of the few that are trying to change that and make it better for you and for the environment.
- Its vegan down insulation keeps you feeling warm even when wet.
- There are no animals that had to sacrifice their fur to make this product.
- Multiple pockets, including an invisible pocket, make it easy to store away valuables while you brave the cold.
- The alternative materials are machine washable so no need to worry about damage.
- Structured to suit a woman’s curves with some allowance for layering clothes underneath.
- Shorter women may find the jacket too long but, some prefer it that way.
7. Spyder Men’s Office Worker Infinium Parka –Best Office Executive LookRead Customer Reviews Here >>>
- Zipper & snap button closures
- Combined Gore Infinium and PrimaLoft Down Insulation
- Wool-like outer material
Not necessarily doing outdoor work but still needing a reliable jacket to keep you warm when you’re out there? Well, unlike the Canada Goose Men’s Expedition Jacket with Fur Hoodie or the RefrigiWear Insulated Winter Jacket, this jacket from Spyder can be worn while keeping up an executive look. The jacket’s wool-like outer material totally helps you get away with it with flying colors.
- Water-resistant material helps protect you from getting drenched under the rain or snow.
- Executive look design makes it great to top office wear, even suits.
- Even though it looks like it requires dry cleaning, it’s completely safe for machine washing.
- Double breast closures help keep the heat in and the cold out.
- It may not be the best option when you need to go rugged outdoors.
Jackets for Extremely Cold Weather: Buying Guide
When Winter is calling, you absolutely cannot resist the changing season. But, that doesn’t mean you can adopt and adjust. Getting a jacket suited for extremely cold winters could mean the difference between being able to do what you need to do and being forced to pull the breaks due to the unforgiving weather.
If you don’t like being stopped on your tracks, then better get yourself ready. No amount of ranting about the freezing cold is going to stop the chilly winds from blowing, you know. Go shop! Here are the top things to look for.
Office workers will probably make do with an Spyder Men’s Office Worker Infinium Parka. However, an Ergodyne Store Reflective Extreme Winter Jacket will be the most appropriate winter jacket for essential and critical workers. That includes high-risk jobs such as construction, patrols, public safety, and roadworks.
If your job entails carrying out responsibilities that keep other people safe out there even as a heavy snowstorm or hailstorm is underway, choosing a winter jacket correctly could affect risk and safety. So, choose wisely.
Most winter jackets are made of polyester or polymer materials. These materials resemble plastics and have varying levels of water resistance.
In general, cotton jackets are not recommended for extremely cold weather conditions. You have to consider that the surroundings will likely be wet and damp under extremely low temp weather conditions.
Design & Structure
Do you really have to give up style to stay warm? Well, it used to be that way but, as winter jackets have evolved with clothing technology, so did the possibilities!
Before you consider unisex jackets, we strongly recommend getting one that fits either men or women. The curves for women or bulges for men are just not as well-defined in unisex jackets. If any, they’d feel too generic to flatter any type of body.
Better yet, choose a jacket properly designed for your body shape and height. Some products, like the Alpine North Vegan Parka for Women, may be flattering for taller women but may look pretty unattractive for shorter ones.
Just in case you haven’t noticed, it’s not ideal to be tagging along a shopping bag when you’re out there in the cold. You’d want all your basic needs and valuables to be within your reach.
That’s why when shopping for winter jackets, examining the pockets is a huge must. See to it that there is at least one waterproof pocket where you can store your mobile and electronic gadgets without worrying they might get damp.
Adjustment belts, straps, zippers, and snap-ons can affect how well a jacket can help you stay warm. In short, look for options.
Double-zip jackets for one are great to adjust well when surrounding weather is constantly fluctuating from one extreme to another. You can loosen up when you start feeling warm. Or, there might be adjustable snap buttons that you can tighten when the cold wind howls all of a sudden.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What are the best winter jackets made up of?
Jackets made for winter weather are generally constructed with insulation. Insulation materials commonly used are down, wool, and synthetic materials. Each one has its pros and cons.
In terms of which one offers the most warmth, jackets made with a down insulation which are made with pockets of air that help keep the body heat in perform the best. Most down insulated jackets, however, lose their ability to keep heat from escaping when they become wet and damp.
Q: Are winter jackets that can keep you warm at -60F the best in the market?
They’re definitely high-performance. Our question is, do you really need your jacket to be this warm?
A lot of people end up wasting their money buying a winter jacket they don’t really need. Make sure to choose one that matches where you’re planning to use it. Such that if you are planning to ski, you should get a ski jacket which can still be extremely warm if you need a jacket to survive New York winter.
Needless to say, better check the weather forecast before you spend.
Q: Are winter jackets all the same?
No, it’s just a generic term used to refer to insulated jackets. Perhaps two of the most common are parka and down jackets. Some would even refer to them as winter coats, top coats, peacoats, or quilted coats.
All of which would have different ways of keeping you warm, usually depending on the material, insulation, structure, design, or any combination of these. Again, it depends where you’re planning to strut your winter jacket and the weather.
Want to perform at your finest even in the midst of a biting cold? If you’ve got on the best winter work jackets for extreme cold, there’s nothing to worry about. Get your game up and just, “let it snow, let it snow, let it snow”.
Leave a Reply